Monday, November 12, 2007

Menu Plan Monday


Well, this is my first Menu Plan Monday! Hopefully the first of many! I got out the Hy-vee and Econo Foods flyer on Friday and planned my menu until Thanksgiving around what was on sale and what I already have and spent less than $150 on my groceries! Something tells me that I will probably have to go again, it didn't look like a whole lot of food for the next 2 weeks - and I have already noticed a couple of things that I forgot - but this being my first try I think I did pretty good.

So without further ado, here's the menu for this week!

Monday: I'm currently making Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Tuesday: Baked Salmon for the hubby and me and baked chicken for the kids
Wednesday: Taco Salad
Thursday: Crock pot Pot Roast
Friday: Beef Stew and biscuits (hopefully there's some post roast left to make this!)
Saturday: Crockpot Chili and cornbread
Sunday: Leftovers! (my personal favorite day of the week!)

I may have to change things around if the pot roast isn't as big as I think it is.

Oh, I just have to say that I got a pretty good deal on a pork tenderloin and although it was huge it was big enough that I cut it into 3 meals worth of meat all for about $13. I was excited except for the fact that I try not to buy pork that much - we are more red meat people. But I couldn't pass up the deal!

I have also been trying to sneak in whole wheat noodles whenever possible - it seems to have worked for the spaghetti a couple of weeks ago without any complaints. Unfortunately I forgot them for the chicken noodle soup this week so we will just have to make due with plain old egg noodles...maybe next week for the stroganoff I have planned.

5 Comments For Risa:

Jamie said...

Yeah! Great to see you posted a menu! It's a start! Looks like a yummy week. I made that roast and it didn't turn out well at all. But we're not at all roast people. Zach pretty much only likes ground beef but I throw in chicken at times too. Hard to cook with only 2 types of meat!

Anonymous said...

looks good! Won't take you long to get used to making your shopping lists with your menu plan. Have a great week!

Anna said...

I started to shop with a menu plan as well, but I don't think I could budget $150 for two weeks!! Way to go Marisa:) I usually do about $120 a week now. I started budgeting my groceries this summer, I have never budgeted before, I used to go to the grocery store at least three times a week and spend almost $300 a week! CRAZY! Now I pay attention and go only 1 time:) It's much easier that way.

Amie said...

We do chicken probably 70% of the time. I hear you on the pork, I don't like it but sometimes I can't pass it up because of the price.

Have you read Tight Wad Gazette? That book totally changed how I shopped. She also stresses that if you keep your pantry well stocked you don't need to plan menus. Obviously, some people enjoy planning their menus to be organized and I certainly enjoy reading them! :D

Jodie said...

I love looking at other people's menu's! If I posted my menu for the week you guys would laugh. The only day I really cook is on Sunday. Every other day its mac n cheese, grill cheese, chicken nuggets, frozen pizza. A total preschooler diet.