Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Can You Get A Second Opinion...

For a dental exam? I know it sounds kinda silly but after spending a ton of time and money on glasses that Jozie has hardly used, I'm not sure I want to fill my kids heads full of crowns that they really don't need!

We just got home from the kids dentist check-ups and cleanings and they told me that Luke needs one crown for a really bad cavity - which I could see was big and very close to the nerve - but Jozie needs 4 crowns! I could see a place that there could be one, maybe, but 4?!! I realize that I am not a dentist but at what point do you trust some guys whom you have never met before who does what he does because it's his source of income? Maybe I just feel like I was taken advantage of over the whole glasses thing.

Here's what work they will be having done:

Luke - one crown and one filling
Jozie - 4 crowns, 4 fillings, and 2 sealants - apparently the ones from the other dentist came off...or they aren't really sure they are there because they can't really see them, her filling from the last guy did fall out for sure. The poor kid hates pain so I'm sure these will be fun visits.

I'm sure you can see where I am coming from...just a bit frustrated about the whole thing.

So, we are off to our second appointment of the day. Luke has once again picked at the cuticle on his thumb until it's raw and infected. It's really gross looking, like his skin is peeled off and his meat is exposed...I'm sure you wanted that visual. :) We are probably in for another round of antibiotics and daily soakings...

Oh, joy.

5 Comments For Risa:

Jamie said...

Ohh, you didn't take a picture of the infected mess to gross us out!?! Yuck!

I know what you mean...sometimes you really have to be careful of dentists and doctors that they don't take advantage of you. Could you ask at your church about a good dentist? I would be nervous about my child needing so much work!

Anonymous said...

Defintely get the second opinion. I agree with Jamie, ask someone at church for a good one.
Luke and Levi are definitely related...what with their hands being all jacked up...

Jodie said...

Oh my gosh!!! I agree, definitely get a second opinion. That is going to cost an arm and a leg and another arm if you truly do need to get that many crowns.

LOL on the visual. Poor thing.

Anna said...

For sure, get a second opinion! I had a complete loser dentist when I first moved down here, he had the nerve to tell me to my face that he should really fix one of my teeth with a root canal and crown because he needed the money!!!!!
That was the last time he saw me!

Amie said...

I forgot to respond to this post...but yes, you can get a second opinion for dental work. I know somebody who was told they had several cavities, moved, and their new dentist said they didn't have all those cavities.