Monday, November 26, 2007

Menu Plan Monday



I didn't post a menu for last week because we were gone for most of it. We ended up eating mostly left overs on Monday and Tuesday. I still haven't figured out how to go back to cooking for 4 after almost 3 years of cooking for 8!

This week we will be eating a lot of wild game since it's that time of the year (hunting season!)

Monday: My new recipe of the week was today in 6 Layer Dinner. It didn't go over well esp. with the kids. Bob didn't care for it much either because it had rice in it. I also had to alter the recipe slightly because it called for a quart of canned tomatoes. I had 1 jar left but when I opened it to put it in it looked funny - it was a very dark - slightly brown color of tomotoes and the seeds in the top third of the jar were black. I know it can be like that from using extra-but-not-quite-over-ripe fruit but I didn't want to take any chances and end up getting everybody sick. I used spaghetti sauce instead. It wasn't a good thing. I was really upset - Luke doesn't like store bought canned tomatoes and neither do I - yuck! So chili this winter just won't be the same! Anyway, this meal was definitely a bust...I won't be using this recipe again!

Tuesday: Either Rabbit or Venison - probably both. I'll probably pan fry the venison since it's steaks and I will probably make rabbit and dumplings - we have only 3 jars of rabbit left (when we lived in MI we raised rabbit for meat and I canned some with my grandma)! But my dad is coming to visit Tuesday night so it will be well used with him here with us!

Wednesday: Crockpot Pork Roast - I will be using this recipe which we all loved the last time I made it. I don't have any red wine so I used something (I can't even remember what it is!) we had left from our honeymoon over 7 years ago! LOL Just goes to tell you how much we consume alc0h0l!

Thursday: Chicken of some kind - probably baked somehow.

Friday: Leftovers

Saturday: Surprise Birthday dinner for Bob's dad - Jozie will be cooking this day!

Sunday: Probably more leftovers again!

Check out Laura's blog for more menu ideas!

5 Comments For Risa:

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Hi Risa! Glad you stopped by my blog... I'm always looking for new dairy-free ideas, too!

Canned rabbit? Hmm... interesting. I was raised a "city-girl" and am still learning about this whole wild game thing through my husband's family. The only remembrance I have of rabbit is that one time my dad was trying out a new recipe with it (he is the cook in our family) and he chased me around the kitchen with the rabbit's heart. I was about 8 and have this vivid recollection of screaming my head off. Of course, he doesn't remember it at all! :)

Looking forward to meeting up with you each Monday in the blogosphere (and maybe some other times, too!)

Becky

Oh, I've also just recently started a keeping track of some of my dairy free recipes. If you'd like to check it out it's at
http://www.mustfollowrecipes.blogspot.com

There aren't too many recipes yet, but I'll get there! :)

Anna said...

Sorry about your layer dinner:) That really bites when you spend time cooking and nobody likes it! Oh well we can't always win:)
Canned rabbit! That sounds horrible, I am not a fan of venison either, my Mom used to try and hide it in her cooking, but she NEVER fooled me:)

Amie said...

Sorry about the recipe that didn't work out. It's never fun to prepare a meal that doesn't turn out like it should.

I should start cooking rabbit. We could get Mary Jane out there and make her earn her keep around here by hunting some rabbits. :D

Jodie said...

Dude you're eating bambi and thumper on the same night!!!!

Brian would love to be married to someone like you.

Jamie said...

LOL at Jodie's comment. And I agree with Anna...I just can't stomach venison, though I've never eaten rabbit I'm fearful to! Sorry about your dinner...I really hate when I spend time cooking and nobody likes it!